November 9, 2013

The Book Of Laman Chapter One


















This is a very compelling story about the experiences of a fictional representation of the very real brother of Nephi, Laman. In the first three installments, Laman expresses his opinion about the compelling need for his father Lehi to spread the beliefs that he thinks come from God. Below is the beginning.

I, Laman, have the dearest admiration for our father Lehi. He and Mother have earnestly sought after our welfare all the days of our lives. Father, Lehi, attends all the sacrifices at the temple frequently and taught of the great beauty of the House of Israel and the blessings bestowed upon our people as God’s chosen. I understood Father then as he spoke of the glory of Zion and the eventual conquest of Judah over all its foes.

I took great satisfaction in the thought that one day our people would be wealthy and wise as in the days of Saul, who is the greatest and most favorite servant of God. Saul was too holy to have another of his line take his throne so it was handed to David. Father would argue that God rejected Saul, but I, Laman, do not see the logic in this thinking—seeing that Saul, a Great man of God, offered sacrifice to God himself. It seems honorable to remember Saul as the great leader he is and the shining example of Our Kingdom at its greatest.

My lack of interest in the history of religious interpretations of Father changed when one night he confided in me of a vision that he experienced, which I will relate hereafter; but first I proceed with my sayings.

Father has always spoken of visions or dreams that have given him an understanding of the history of our people. I will tell you of the great wrestle that I had with our father and the tragedy that followed.
I was about with my brothers, Lemuel, Sam, and Nephi with the sons of Ishmael Joshua and Zenos attending some festival at the temple. Rumors of strange men and women frequenting the temple gates to prophesy and warn the people of some great travesty of God in Israel flooded the streets of Jerusalem like sandstorms during the dry seasons. 

As we stood in the courtyard waiting for the priest to reappear, a group of these so-called holy people entered the gate and stood lamenting about the destruction of the temple and the captivity of the people of Jerusalem.

All went quiet as one of those people spoke, who all knew to be a prophet of some repute, Jeremiah. Nephi, as bold and headstrong as ever was the first of our group to speak. He seemed to want to gain our admiration since he was the youngest of our group. 

His whisper to us hissed across the court as he said, “But Father has said that Israel would be redeemed and free of its oppressors.” I yanked his arm roughly. That type of communication was not looked upon lightly these days with the wars of Egypt and Babylon. Any such speech could be looked upon as treason and could bring death to the house of our father. As the eldest son and executor of the estate, I had to protect the legacy of the house. Saying any of those such opinions outside the privacy of our home brings jeopardy to Father.

I am certain that Nephi did not take the hint as the eyes of the people, including Jeremiah’s, scanned the now murmuring crowd to see who spoke those words because he spoke again—and directly to Jeremiah.

“Why do you say such things, and by what authority do you speak.” I nearly lost my senses with the lad.

“Sir, I know your face,” Jeremiah squinted as the mid-morning sun struck his eyes while he strained at my brother. “What quorum of elders do you represent?”

“Holy messenger,” I said quickly realizing that a group was slowly forming around us as Jeremiah mistook Nephi for something more than he was. “He is but a lad and is young and he knows not his place to speak to a teacher as you. Please forgive his impunity.” 

The people murmured more. I could feel the heat rising in my chest. I wanted then to give that child Nephi lashes! He looked to me with an apologetic smile as Jeremiah nodded and continued to speak, lamenting to the crowd. The crowd soon forgot our part and began to jeer or support the messengers from the Church.

I smote Nephi upon his arm as we weaved through the crowd of murmuring toward another exit from the inner court toward the Outer Court of the people where the gentiles were allowed. I noticed when I smote Nephi it did not seem to bother him. For someone so young he had grown into such a strapping beardless man. One would not think him a lad because of his physical stature and strength, so I smote him again just for good measure.

“Why would you bring such attention to us at this place knowing that any talk good or bad on this matter could prove imprisonment or worse yet, death for the entire family,” I hissed to Nephi.

“My father has spoken of Jerusalem as a place for a grand affair and this prophet speaks of destruction. Does it not bother you Eldest Brother?”

“Nephi, this, Jeremiah, is the High Prophet of all in the land. We do not dispute with him. The social implications of such a thing alone are enough to warrant silence when such men speak. You speak as if Father knows better, or has said otherwise than the prophet of the very god of Israel.”

“Laman that was not my-”

“Nephi, I would remind you that our father is a man of principle and business,” Lemuel curtly offered amid Nephi’s explanation. “He has said little of these teachings. He only concerns himself with the business of this family which Laman will soon completely oversee.”

“I notice that Joshua and Zenos quietly slipped away from us four brothers,” Sam said snatching my attention away from Nephi for a moment. “That was a wise choice.”

Nephi, being the youngest never experienced the struggle that Lemuel, Sam, and I, Laman did as we built the family fortune together trading and scribing. Father taught us to write for him as he copied scrolls for noblemen from Egypt and Jerusalem proper. I had begun the same business in Babylon with his blessings as we expanded the enterprise. I never delighted in reading and bookwork as did Lemuel and Nephi, but I could speak all the tongues of the sea and regions near and far—or at least a few curses in each if nothing more.

“I believe Nephi was excited about the prospect of finally meeting one of these prophets and could not contain his zeal,” Sam offered, always to Nephi’s defense.

“Sam, you will defend his every embarrassment,” I chuckled letting the startling situation release from me and seeing that no real harm was done, or so I thought. I embraced Nephi and kissed him to let him know that I am his dear brother--and thought to settle the matter. We had a family to protect and a business to run. I did not want disunity in the family to ever cause us to suffer as many of our past kings. Jealousy over power and leadership would not occur because I will let all the family know I will not sell my birthright of leading the family.

I noticed a few of my business associates glancing at me and smiling. I hoped that no one would hold against the family enterprise of Nephi speaking about such a hotly debated political issue in truth when our business depended on both schools of thought for profit. It was not desirable to take a position in the matter for or against Jerusalem’s success or destruction. Personally, I thought all would be well. I wanted only to keep the family enterprise stable for my future posterity as the firstborn to carry Father’s name for the House of Israel.

I should have known that Nephi would be the source of intrigue from that moment on. I, his eldest brother, took him under my wing to provide instruction for him since he reached the age of manhood under the direction of Father. He often attended to my duties with me and I am sure learning much of his boldness from me. Father was not a bold man outside of business. Though he was on the council of Elders, he did not speak of holy things save at home and among our friends.

Nephi would listen to me for long periods interpreting Father’s ranting about unimportant things with wide eyes. He respected me as his teacher and ruler as the eldest and honored my sayings, which I know some of which he disagreed. I loved Nephi. I still love him.

After the incident in the courtyard, things became strange. It was as if there was an omen in the actions Nephi took. Having traveled all the land, I have an unrestricted view of religion and perspective that most in Jerusalem do not. Religion is a matter of preference and tradition. I chose to associate with Adonai. I thought to teach my children of all the gods that I have come to learn of one day to give them choice, unlike Father. I would offer supplication to the Egyptian god Renenet for prosperity and wealth in addition to those of Adonai. I felt it proper being that most of our dealings occurred with Egypt. Why not pay homage to her gods occasionally? 

Men fared according to our strengths and weaknesses. Religion seems to give us a common purpose to work together for the good of the community. It is good. I do not let religion govern my business, though. Wealth cannot be earned from an invisible idol, or from the many I purchased during my travels.

Father says we worship the true God. I accept it as my heritage, but I find comfort in the gods that I can see and worship in their presence. I honored Father. I did never bring my sacred idols to his attention. I had to keep the family stable. It would look strange for the eldest son to dishonor his father by taking up the practice of another belief while he yet lived. Yes, it is punishable by death to dishonor Father in such a way. I would never betray our family so long as my father lives to see it.

I feared because one night as I, Laman, mentioned before, my father, Lehi, confided in me a vision or dream that he experienced that I shall submit proved to the dislocation and exile of our family and the robbing of the birthright and name of the House of Lehi from the rightful heir, me. To this day I seek to recover the family honor!

No comments:

Post a Comment